POLYGRAPH aims in developing innovative polymer nanohybrids that consist of graphite oxide (GO) and / or nanoadditives based on graphene. It targets the correlation of the final macroscopic (thermal, mechanical, rheological) properties of the nanohybrids with the microscopic structure, the morhology and the chain conformations in systems with different polymer / surface interactions and / or different degree of chain confinement.
POLYGRAPH will utilize a combined experimental and computational approach for the development of innovative of nanocomposites that consist of polymers of different architectures and functional groups and graphitic nanoadditives of different degree of oxidation in an attempt to vary the polymer / surface interactions. The successful implementation of POLYGRAPH will lead to the:
- Synthesis and characterization of graphite oxide of different degree of oxidation.
- Development of polymer nanohybrids with either intercalated or exfoliated structure.
- Investigation of polymer crystallization close to the graphitic surfaces.
- Investigation of chain conformations under confinement.
- Correlation of the macroscopic properties with the interfacial interactions and the different structure of the nanohybrids.