How to reach Crete
- By air: The airport Nikos Kazantzakis (airport Code: HER) is the only one in Heraklion. Heraklion has 8-10 direct flights per day from Athens (ATH), 2-4 direct flights per day from Thesaloniki (SKG), and 3-5 direct flights per week from Amsterdam via Transavia Airlines. Between April and September there are also frequent charter flights from most major European cities. Taxi service is provided just outside the airport.
- By sea: There are two major ship companies on the line: Athens-Heraklion. Minoan lines and ANEK lines provide daily service from and towards Crete. There are taxis available as well as buses near the port.
Getting from the airport to the city
When you arrive at the Heraklion airport, you have two options to get to the city and your hotel: You either use public trnsportation (buses) or a taxi. We highly recommend the taxi option, since you will be able to find one immediately outside tha arrivals building and it will take you directly to your destination. Below, where information about hotels is mentioned, you will find an estimated taxi fare for each hotel.
How to reach FORTH
- By Taxi: Phone number for calling a taxi and for information: (+30) 2810 210102, (+30) 2810 210146. The cost of a taxi from the city center to FORTH is approximately 10-12 Euros.
- By Car: Should you wish to rent a car, the above map will give you a perspective on how to reach FORTH.
- By Public Bus: Should you wish to rent a car, the above map will give you a perspective on how to reach FORTH.
There is a bus going directly from the center of the city to FO.R.T.H. You can take the bus from the bus station in front of Astoria Hotel (Eleytherias Square). The price of the one-way ticket is 1,50 Euros and you can buy it form the special small kiosk in the bus station or from any other kiosk. The bus schedule is the following:
- Airport - FO.R.T.H.: 07:20, 08:30, 11:30, 13:50, 15:00, 17:20
- (The bus arrives at Astoria bus station about 10 minutes later) FO.R.T.H. - Airport: 08:00, 09:15, 12:15, 14:30, 15:40, 18:00