Dr George Filippidis is a Senior Staff Scientist at IESL-FORTH in charge of the non-linear microscopy (NLM) group. He received his B.Sc. degree from the Physics Department of the University of Crete in 1995 and his Doctorate degree from the Medical School of the same University in 2000. He performed his post doctoral studies at IESL-FORTH. His research group activities include the in vivo elucidation of molecular mechanisms and biological processes by employing various spectroscopic techniques with emphasis on advanced microscopic modalities, optical characterization of tissue, nanosurgery and the implementation of non-linear image contrast modalities (MPEF, SHG, PSHG, THG) as novel diagnostic tools for Cultural Heritage studies. He has published 70 articles in international peer-reviewed journals, 31 full-length articles in edited peer-reviewed volumes, 28 conference proceedings and 3 book chapters (Web of Science, h index 23). He was co supervisor in 3 PhD, 8 masters and 10 diploma theses from the Physics Department of the University of Crete and Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He is co-author in 1 patent. He has given 3 invited talks in international conferences, a plenary talk and an invited internet lecture at Max-Born Institute.
- 2000 Ph.D. in Biophysics, University of Crete
- 1995 B.Sc. in Physics, University of Crete
- 11/2022 - present Senior Staff Scientist (ELE A) at I.E.S.L. - F.O.R.T.H.
- 4/2017 -10/2022 Principal Staff Scientist (ELE Β) at I.E.S.L. - F.O.R.T.H.
- 1/2007 – 3/2017 Research Scientist (permanent position) and Group Leader, Non Linear Microscopy Lab, I.E.S.L. - F.O.R.T.H.
- 1/2002 – 12/2006 Research Associate at I.E.S.L. – F.O.R.T.H.
- 3/2000-12/2001 Compulsory National Service (petty officer Greek Navy)
- 6/1996 – 3/2000 Laboratory Assistant, Biomedical Applications Group, I.E.S.L. FO.R.T.H.