Dionysios Xydias is a PhD candidate at the Materials Science and Technology department, University of Crete. He is a member of the Ultrafast Laser Micro and Nano Processing Laboratory, IESL-FORTH, under the supervision of Dr. Emmanuel Stratakis. He has received two PhD scholarships under the framework of ELIDEK (2019-2022) and the Stavros Niarchos Foundation – FORTH ARCHERS project (2018). He received a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics from the University of Crete, Greece in 2010, having been awarded with a scholarship from the State Scholarship Foundation (2006-2009) and first class honours, for the highest GPA in the School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences and a Master’s Degree in Physics, from the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany in 2016. He works on the determination of the topological effect of substrate topography on networks of neural cells, investigating how the electrical activity of networks of neural cell cultures, grown on pre-patterned substrates with regular, complex and random shapes, depends on the topography and the dimensional characteristics of the patterning as well as the growth conditions of the cell cultures. His methodology includes the design and preparation of substrates on which neural cells adhere and differentiate selectively, in predefined shapes, the recording of their electrical activity with the use of 2-photon excitation fluorescence microscopy and the analysis of the fluorescence signals to determine the correlation between individual neurons and the topology of the culture as a network. His main research interests focus on the combination of experimental imaging of live cell cultures and the use theoretical neuronal network model simulations of neuronal electrical activity for different network geometries to determine their effect on the network topology.
- 2016 - Master of Science in Physics, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.
- 2011- Master courses in Automation Systems: Control and Robotics Systems, National Technical University of Athens, Greece.
- 2010 - Bachelor of Science in Physics, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece.
- 2004 - High School degree, Music high school of Pallini, Athens, Greece.
- 10.2017 - Today, PhD candidate, Ultrafast Laser Micro and Nano Processing Laboratory, IESL-FORTH, Crete, Greece.
- 10.2017 - Today, Teaching Assistant, Materials Science and Technology, UoC, Crete, Greece.
- 01.2013 - 05.2016, Master student Assistant, Paul-Drude Institute für Festkörperelektronik, Berlin, Germany.
- Live Cell Imaging
- Second Harmonic Generation
- Neuronal electrical activity
- Complex dynamics
- Scaffold biomaterials
- 2019 - 2022, Hellenic Foundation for Research and Technology (ELIDEK) (PhD Scholarship)
- 2018, ARCHERS project, Niarchos Foundation & IESL-FORTH (PhD Scholarship)
- 2010, University of Crete Honour: Recited the oath in the graduation ceremony, for graduating ﬁrst of my class in the whole School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Crete, Greece.
- 2006 - 2009, IKY (State Scholarships Foundation) scholarship for the highest grades in the Physics Department, University of Crete, Greece.
- 2005, IKY (State Scholarships Foundation) scholarship for achieving 1st entry rank in the Physics Department, UoC, Greece.
- 2004, Eurobank award, for the highest GPA in the Music high school of Pallini.