The candidate will undertake experimental research under the work-package of BIOSYS dealt with Magnetic Oxides and in particular with the task that develops functional materials with nanoscale building blocks that can be implemented at low-cost in sensing or diagnostic technologies in biomedicine.
The successful candidate will also study the relationships between the microscopic structure and macroscopic physical properties that exploit novel quantum mechanical phenomena in multifunctional oxides. The project (i) will optimize high-temperature solid-state or solution chemistry approachesfor the growth of transition metal oxides in appropriate morphology and defined composition, and (ii) it will aim to characterize and understand those structure-property relationships that benefit the operational capabilities of energy efficient devices. Effort will be placed in harnessing inherent coupled physical phenomena of opto-electronic or magneto-electric nature that make possible technologies (e.g. switches, energy conversion, information storage etc) that raise the standards of leaving, while being smart and environmental safe.
Responsibilities of the post-doctorate fellow will include laboratory research and data analysis, dissemination of findings, preparation of research reports, mentoring graduate and undergraduate researchers and contributing to the development of the Institute’s R&D collaborations.
· A PhD degree (in Physics, Materials Science etc) by the hiring date
· Demonstrated ability in materials physics,i.e. NanoMagnetism or NanoSpectroscopy
· Proved experience in analytical techniques, including, magnetometry, XRD, electron microscopy, spectroscopy (e.g. dielectric, microwave, optical)
· Excellent knowledge of the English language
· An MSc degree in experimental techniques for materials science (e.g. development of low-temperature physics probes) will be an advantage
· A background in applications of magnetic materials is desired
· Programming skills for data acquisition & reduction will be beneficial
· Publications in peer-reviewed journals and scientific presentations in conferences
· Successful candidates must be able to work in an interdisciplinary environment
Greek male candidates must have fulfilled their military obligations
Start Date: 1 July 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter
Contract Duration: 12 Months, with the option for extension
Salary: the salary will depend on the experience of the researcher
Insurance: Social security according to the National law
Interested candidates are kindly asked to submit their applications, no later than 10 June 2014 by email to Ms Aggeliki Tsigkri (firstname.lastname@example.org), with cc to the Scientific Coordinator, Dr. Alexandros Lappas (email@example.com).
In order to be considered, the application must include:
· Application Form (downloadable at the end of the page)
· A cover letter describing your research interests
· CV and publications list
· Scanned copies of the ready available academic titles
· Two (2) reference letters
- for the application and selection procedures, Ms Aggeliki Tsigkri (firstname.lastname@example.org) tel. 0030-2810-391353.
Applications that are received on time are going to be reviewed by the scientific committee. The committee will select the candidacy that best matches the position and project requirements, based on the score that it will get according to the criteria table as shown on the Appendix in the end of the present announcement. If necessary, certain candidates will be invited to a personal interview with the committee on a specific date and time that will be announced.
The successful candidate will be personally notified and will be asked to present the required documents in original form within seven (7) working days after the results announcement on the web and the time period for appeals. In the case that the presented documents don’t match those submitted, the candidate will be dismissed from the procedure.
THE DIRECTOR OF IESL