- Associate Professor, Materials Dept., University of Crete (2011-)
- Principal Researcher, Deputy Director IESL-FORTH, Greece (2009-)
Stelios Tzortzakis received his PhD from the Ecole Polytechnique (France, 2001)
in Nonlinear Optics. He has worked in many research laboratories in France and
Greece, and since 2003 he has held a CNRS position at the Ecole Polytechnique.
In 2006 he was the recipient of a European Union Marie Curie Excellence Grant,
with which he has founded and now leads the UNIS research group at IESL-FORTH in
Greece, where he is a Principal Researcher. In 2011 he was appointed Associate
Professor in the Materials Dept. of the University of Crete. He is a recognized
expert in nonlinear laser propagation phenomena and has created the
website, a unique information resource for the related scientific community.
- Nonlinear interactions of intense femtosecond laser pulses with matter.
- Nonlinear laser propagation phenomena - filamentation.
- Nonspreading wave packets in the linear and nonlinear regimes.
- Intense tunable THz sources and THz nonlinear Optics.
- Ultrafast dynamically tunable THz metamaterials.
- Photonic structuring in the bulk of transparent solid materials.
- Quantum and complexity physics with photonic lattices.
Selected Recent Publications
- P. Panagiotopoulos, D. G. Papazoglou, A. Couairon, and S. Tzortzakis "Sharply
autofocused ring-Airy beams transforming into nonlinear intense light bullets"
Nature Communications 4, 2622 (2013)
- M. Bellec, P. Panagiotopoulos, D. G. Papazoglou, NK. Efremidis, A. Couairon, S.
Tzortzakis “Observation and optical tailoring of photonic lattice filaments”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 113905 (2012)
- N.-H. Shen, M. Massaouti, M. Gokkavas, J.-M. Manceau, E. Ozbay, M. Kafesaki, T.
Koschny, S. Tzortzakis, C. M. Soukoulis “Optically implemented broadband
blue-shift switch in the terahertz regime” Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 037403 (2011)
- D. G. Papazoglou, E. K. Efremidis, D. N. Christodoulides, and S. Tzortzakis
“Observation of abruptly autofocusing waves” Opt. Lett. 36, 1842-1844 (2011)
- G. Stegeman, D. G. Papazoglou, R. Boyd, and S. Tzortzakis “Nonlinear
birefringence due to non-resonant, higher-order Kerr effect in isotropic media”
Opt. Express 19, 6387-6399 (2011)
- D. Abdollahpour, S. Suntsov, D. G. Papazoglou and S. Tzortzakis “Spatio-temporal
Airy light bullets in the linear and nonlinear regimes” Phys. Rev. Lett. 105,
- J.-M. Manceau, N.-H. Shen, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, S. Tzortzakis “Dynamic
response of metamaterials in the terahertz regime: Blueshift tunability and
broadband phase modulation”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 021111 (2010)